How do I become a registered sales rep or property manager?

To conduct transactions in real estate you need to obtain a registration with the industry regulator, the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS).

Although you may wish to eventually work in other areas of real estate, most people start their career in the residential arena. There will also be opportunities to move into roles including:

  • Business broking
  • Auctioneering
  • Strata sales
  • Strata management
  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Retail
  • Development

There are two entry pathways into a real estate career:

  • Becoming a registered residential sales representative
  • Becoming a registered residential property manager

To apply for a registration, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a person of good character and repute and a fit and proper person to hold a certificate of registration
  • understand fully the duties and obligations imposed by the Act on persons involved in negotiating real estate transactions and business transactions
  • apply for registration from DMIRS within 12 months from the date of the Statement of Attainment achieved through a Registered Training Provider.